Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Darrell Lance Abbott....

....August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004


Five years.


I still tear up when I think about that day. Pantera changed me forever. They made me who I am today. Music that profoundly heavy and emotionally moving doesn't come around very fucking often... For me, anyway. I've always been picky about what I like and don't like when it comes to music.... Pantera just fit... Much like Metallica and Guns N' Roses before them. It was music that not only could I relate to... But that I could feel in my bones... Pantera probably more than any other band. GN'R could maybe give them a run for their money... But it was Pantera that I would have killed for...I would have died for...People hear about how fiercely loyal their fans were, and they may find it hard to imagine.. But I was one of those fans. I actually called the "Dime Line" 900 number printed on the sleeve of The Great Southern Trendkill back in '96, specifically to leave Darrell a message with my phone number in case the band needed a permanent roadie that would work for "beer and admission to every single Pantera show until forever"....And I would have gladly given up my future plans to follow them everywhere.... Sounds ridiculous, I know... But I would have done it... without hesitation... Sometimes I still wish I had gotten that phone call.


8/26/96
The best day of my life will ALWAYS be August 26, 1996... The day of my first concert.... And the first time of five times that I saw Pantera live....Pantera, White Zombie, The Deftones, and Anal Cunt in Worcester, MA.... I went with my cousin, her boyfriend, and another friend. We had the nosebleed seats... But it didn't matter to me. Not in the least.... I sat in my seat politely for all the other bands. There was only one band I was interested in, and I wasn't about to waste one single fucking ounce of energy for anyone else... When the opening strains of Suicide Note Part 1 began to play and the lighters came out, (Yes, kids...lighters)... It was as close to a religious experience as I will ever have. Every bit of me poured out in the next two hours... I gave them everything I had.... Some big, bald biker got me to help him destroy our entire row of seats as I screamed every syllable to every song at the top of my lungs... When I walked out of the venue, I was so physically and emotionally drained, that I could hardly walk...

Seems like last fucking week.... Jesus.. I miss them so much. I've said it before.. And I'll say it again... FORGIVE PHIL, Vince and Rita.... Life is too fucking short.
Anyway... Long Live Pantera...


Rest In Peace, Darrell.










No comments: