Thursday, February 2, 2012

Van Halen... A Different Kind Of Truth.

..The Under Destruction Review..



"Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like you mean it".. Blood And Fire

So.. This is it. The long awaited return of a David Lee Roth Fronted Van Halen. The record that all of us old school VH fans have been clamoring for for almost three decades. They put the tip in, so to speak, in 1996 with two DLR fronted tracks on Best Of Volume 1, but abruptly pulled out before we even began to get wet. Look... I'm not going to front like I'm not a bit biased. I can appreciate aspects of every Van Halen era... Yes, even the Gary Cherone shit... But my true love for this band is based on the first four records. And that's why I love love LOVE A Different Kind Of Truth.... 


 A large percentage of this material has roots in the Pre- Hagar era. I was a bit mistaken... In my previous post, I claimed that this record was 1984 Part Two. Nope. It's way closer to Fair Warning... It is classic Van Halen, through and through... I got a little nervous the first time I heard Tattoo. It's probably the weakest track on the record. The lack of Michael Anthony's backing vocals are glaring on that track. Then... throughout the record.. That absence becomes less and less noticeable. Tracks like China Town, As Is and Outta Space blow you out of the water with their patented Pre-Diver Down aggression. (Double Bass, kids?) Songs like Big River, You And Your Blues, and Beats Workin' make you wonder what 5150 and F.U.C.K. would have sounded like had Dave never left. This album is everything I hoped it would be... Just 25 years late. Is it perfect? No.  But, who cares? Do yourself a favor... Hit up Spotify, and listen to the first four Van Halen records then listen to A Different Kind Of Truth. Perfect fit. If vintage VH ain't your thing, look elsewhere. If it is... Look no further. For the first time in 30 years... THIS FEELS LIKE VAN FUCKING HALEN....
8/10

3 comments:

Mayor Furbush said...

The first CF record was pretty fucking slick.. "III" kinda blows... and in comparison to the the return of the mighty VH... he definitely looks like a jealous butthurt fucking crybaby. These two bands could have coexisted nicely, had he shut the fuck up.... Homeboy thought he was blowin' the whistle on the "old material" front.

News Flash, sir... The shit Dave and Ed THREW AWAY wipes the floor with your entire discography. STFU.

Mack Arillo said...

Is it out yet? Did it leak? Send me a link bro.

Mayor Furbush said...

there's one on the previous post

http://bandonox.blogspot.com/2012/02/1984-part-2.html